midrange.com News Server Access
midrange.com is very pleased to offer access to it's mailing lists via news
reader (using the NNTP protocol).
Just about any news reader application will work fine. News Readers that are
known to work are: Thunderbird, Outlook Express, and Forté Agent
Access to the midrange.com news server is, however, controlled to prevent abuse.
To request access to the news server, do the following:
- Subscribe to the
List mailing list hosted on midrange.com. This list is ONLY used to
authenticate you to the news server. No discussion goes happens on the list.
You will, however, get a monthly password reminder (the same as all
- When you have confirmed your subscription request, you will be given a
- Wait at least 15 minutes before attempting to access then news server
(passwords are synchronized every 15 minutes).
- Configure your favorite news reader ...
- Use 'news.midrange.com' as the news server host.
- Use port 119 (default) the news server port.
- Use the email address you subscribed to the News-Access mailing list
as the user id.
- Use the password provided when you subscribed to the News-Access
mailing list as the password (Thunderbird users should check the
"Always request authentication when connecting to this server" option).
- NOTE: You still need to be subscribed to the lists you access via the
news server in order to post ... but you can disable mail delivery if you
wish (see the wiki for information on how to disable mail delivery).
if you encounter any problems.